Welcome to The Taco Shop Review. I'm currently reviewing taco shops in south Orange County, CA. Surfing and eating Mexican food are important activities, so it's important to review taco shops. The greasier, the grungier, the better.

See the Taco Shop Review Introduction for more info (scroll down after clicking).

My Current Favorite Taco (taste experience)

El Maguey. Incredible shredded beef.

My Current Favorite Taco Shop (overall)

Albertaco's . Epitome of a true taco shop.

Check out the data collection spreadsheet.

Thursday, January 10, 2013

Deep Fried Tacos - Made at Home

For about 5 years I've wanted to make deep fried shredded beef tacos at home, just like they serve at Albertaco's in Mission Viejo, CA (the best taco shop in Southern California).

This past Christmas I received a Presto Cool Daddy Deep Fryer from my wife.  She got it on Amazon.

Since I didn't want to make my own shredded meat, and since I love the barbacoa at El Campeon in San Juan Capistrano, CA, I decided to buy the barbacoa and corn tortillas.  I also bought 1.25 gallon jug of Kirkland Canola oil from Costco, even though I only used 8 cups.

All in all, the Presto Cool Daddy worked great.  It heated up quickly, kept its heat during cooking, and was a pleasure to use.  It stays clean due to the lid.  The tacos came out great.

I posted two videos to YouTube, a long, verbose version (11 minutes) and a short version (3 minutes).

The direct links are:
Deep Fried Tacos (long)
Deep Fried Tacos (short)

Embedded here is the long version.  Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment